Spring 2019 English 126 Final Essay Assignment (100 Points Possible)
Goals: (1) to demonstrate the ability to narrow down a topic, (2) to effectively present a focused analysis in which summary of plot and unnecessary details are avoided, (3) to use the drama concepts studied in class such as plot, character, performance, setting, conflict, etc. effectively in the analysis, (4) to use critical and innovative thinking in the analysis, (5) to prove points using the text, (6) to effectively engage with arguments presented in two peer-reviewed sources, (7) to effectively apply the concepts of a school of criticism in your analysis and interpretation, (8) to use grammar, mechanics, and punctuation conventions effectively, and (9) to use MLA conventions adequately.
Length and Format: A minimum of 5 typed pages (about 1,500 words) not including the Works Cited page, double-spaced, 1” margins, 12-point standard font size.
· The analysis must be both original and insightful. Present your unique interpretative analysis, applying literary concepts as well as one of the criticism lenses we studied this quarter or any other you prefer.
· Your analysis should reflect the complexity of the issues discussed this quarter.
· Apply the concepts of a school of criticism in your analysis and interpretation.
· Use two peer-reviewed sources in your paper. They can be about the plays or about your topic.
· You can also use the film versions we viewed in class as part of your analysis.
Sources: The play + 2 peer-reviewed sources either about your chosen play or your topic
Criteria of Evaluation
· Effective use MLA format.
· Do not quote from sources that do not present arguments, such as study guides.
· Avoid writing in the first or second persons (I, my, we, our, you, your) for objectivity
· Use verbs in the present tense to refer to events that take place during the timeframe of the text.
· Crafting and organization of support/body paragraphs that include the components of Assertions, Examples, Explanations, and statements of Significance (AXES) to convey critical readings and interpretations of the texts with which you are working.
· Don’t over quote nor end your paragraphs with a quotation. Always explain the quote’s significance, especially in relation to the thesis statement. For quotes of four lines or longer, use the “block format” and explain the details of this long quote and why it means.
· Prove points using the text and sources.
· Proper use of grammar and syntax will be important in conveying ideas lucidly.
Structure: Follow this outline
· Introduction: “hook” the reader by introducing the themes your essay will develop, by concisely describing interesting aspects of your text, by providing relevant background information, such as authors’ name, or any other relevant information about the play. Then ease into your thesis: 1-2 sentences that encapsulate your interpretation of the text. Thesis should be arguable and not solely based on personal opinion or constitute a statement of fact or of value. Articulate the thesis in specific and effective language. Underline this statement. Make sure your thesis anticipates a discussion of how and why the novel or movie does something innovative and unique.
· Body: Develop your analysis. Remember to make logical claims and prove them with ample and appropriate evidence from the play. Use a criticism school as lens. Make analysis innovative. Do not summarize plot in the body.
· Conclusion: End your analysis by paraphrasing your thesis and leaving readers with a sense of closure avoiding both a mechanical repetition of previously mentioned points as well as bringing up a new topic.
Paper is Due by 11:59pm on Tuesday, June 11 on Canvas Late papers will not be accepted
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more