Rogerian Researched Paper
Now that you have found and summarized eight scholarly articles about your topic (2 for, 2 against, 2 global perspectives, and 2 others of your choice from TCC Databases or Google Scholar), you are ready to write your paper! Write:
· 8-to-10-page paper
· in MLA format (page numbers with your last name, double-spaced, full heading, interesting title not in bold, in-text citations for every quote and paraphrase – ALL WORDS AND IDEAS NOT YOUR OWN, double-spaced Works Cited page)
· Rogerian Style, as shown below
· Quote from six sources.
|Introduction||FIRST PARAGRAPH: Dramatize the problem. Show someone real or hypotheticalexperiencing the problem.SECOND PARAGRAPH: State the problem you hope to resolve. By presenting yourissue as a problem you raise the possibility of positive change. Often opponents willwant to solve the same problem. (1 to 2 pages)|
|Summary of Opposing Views||As accurately and neutrally as possible, state the views of the people with whom youdisagree. By doing this you show that you are capable of listening without judgingand have given a fair hearing to people who think differently from you. (1 to 2 pages)|
|Statement of Understanding||Also called the statement of validity. Show that you understand that there are situationsin which these views are valid. Which parts of the opposing argument s do you concede?Under which conditions might you share these views? (1 to 2 pages)|
|Statement of Your Position||Now that readers have seen that you’ve given full consideration to views other thanyour own, they should be prepared to listen fairly to your views. State your positionor your proposal. Go into detail, explaining the particulars and nuances of your positionor proposal. (1 to 2 pages)|
|Statement of Contexts||Describe situations in which you hope your views will be honored. By showing thatyour position has merit in specific contexts, you recognize that people won’t agree withyou all of the time. However, opponents are allowed to agree in part and share commonground. (1 to 2 pages)|
|Statement of Benefits||Appeal to the self-interest of your opponents by showing how they would benefit fromaccepting your position; this concludes your essay on a hopeful, positive note.(1 to 2 pages)|
Depth of thought (0-20) Depth of thought should be evident, and nuanced perspectives should show themselves. Having researched the topic thoroughly, you should demonstrate your full grasp of the issue as well as a deep understanding of all sides’ perspectives. Your position or proposal should come across as insightful and useful to the debate.
Logical and effective organization (0-20) Organization refers to the order of ideas and the way the writer moves from one idea to the next. Your paper should include the six sections laid out above. Move from one to the next in a logical way, using transitions. EACH PARAGRAPH must cohere and be composed of a claim followed by sentences that explain how or why. (0-20)
Individual and appropriate voice (0-20) Voice is the expression of the writer’s personality through words. For research papers, you want to sound formal. Put on dress-up clothes before you start typing – ha! Specifically, formal means:
· no using the word “you”
· no hyped declarations
· no exclamation points
· no talking about yourself, no “I”
· no “in this paper”-type phrases
· no using the word “quote”
INSTEAD, DO THE FOLLOWING:
· use sophisticated vocabulary appropriate to the issue – not showing off, extra-fancy, or trying to sound smart
· use an engaging tone that keeps the reader interested
· use specific and memorable word choices – the best words — to convey your meaning
· use smooth and expressive sentences; fluent sentences are easy to understand and fun to read with expression.
Correct Mechanics and Conventions (0-20) Conventional punctuation, spelling, grammar.
Correct MLA Format (0-20)
· Manuscript format: page numbers with your last name, double-spaced, full heading, interesting title not in bold or set off with extra space
· In-text citations for every quote and paraphrase – ALL WORDS AND IDEAS NOT YOUR OWN must be followed by parenthesis and a reference to your source.
· Double-spaced Works Cited page with your SIX citations in alphabetical order – one for each work that you actually cited in the paper (not eight because you are only quoting six of them; if you do quote seven or eight sources, then you do need seven or eight citations).
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more