In the first part, each question should be answered in one detailed and fully developed paragraph. Be brief but descriptive and analytical, using 5-7 sentences in each paragraph. Use quotes from readings and book to support your thoughts when possible. Make sure you explain why you thought the in text citations you chose were important.
In the second part, explain the quote as applied to the book, State of Wonder by Ann Patchett as completely as possible.
1. Marina Singh was the leading protagonist in this novel. What did you think about her character in both positive and negative ways. Do you think she was transformed in any way by her time in the jungle?
1. Although represented in a fictional manner, Pharma is at the center of this novel. What did you think about its narrative function in this text? Another way of looking at pharmaceutical industries is through the lens of research and development. What do you think about these areas as part of globalization?
1. Even though the Patchett book took place in current times, it had a certain colonial flavor. What connections were there between colonization processes and modern pharmaceutical ones?
1. The notions of space and place were apparent in this text. How did you perceive these aspects regarding the geographical locations of Minnesota and Manaus?
1. The areas of identity, uncertainty and belonging were interesting parts of this book and Marina’s personality. How did they manifest themselves in the story?
1. What were your thoughts about the relationship between Mr. Fox and Marina?
1. Indigenous people were prominently featured in this book. What are your thoughts about using them in research and development? Should women have children at an “advanced biological age”?
1. How are the following all intertwined: characteristics pertaining to the environment, the field of ethics, and the world of globalization?
1. We do not know what will actually become of Marina in the future. What do you think might happen to her?
Explain each of the following quotes.
1. Dr. Swenson states, “the question is whether or not you choose to disturb the world around you, or if you choose to go on as if you had never arrived. That is how one respects indigenous people…The point is to observe the life they themselves have put into place and learn from it.”
1. Dr. Swenson believes, ‘that it is difficult to trust yourself in the jungle…Some people gain their bearings over time but for others the adjustment never comes.”
1. It has been said that “sesta” (afternoon nap) is one of the only gifts the Europeans (Portuguese) brought to South America, but I imagine the Brazilians could have figured out how to sleep in the afternoon without having had to endure centuries of murder and enslavement.”
1. “Never be so focused on what you’re looking for that you overlook the thing you actually find.”
1. Ann Patchett has stated, “Reading fiction not only develops our imagination and creativity, it gives us the skills to be alone. It gives us the ability to feel empathy for people we’ve never met, living lives we couldn’t possibly experience for ourselves.” How does this quote apply to State of Wonder and your reading of this novel?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more