Part I: Sentence Modifiers
Directions: In a separate document, revise the following sentences that contain either dangling or misplaced modifiers. Note: There will be more than one way to fix these sentences.
1. Hurrying out the door, the door latch ripped a hole in my jacket.
2. The curtains are pretty bright in the baby’s room.
3. After taking some medicine, my stomach settled down.
Part II: Sentence Modifiers
Directions: In a separate document, identify each underlined phrase as a participial, appositive, or absolute modifying phrase.
1. Between the sharp, loud crashing of cymbals, he pounded the bass drum, its deep thud resonating through the stadium.
2. The guitarist followed the beat, strumming the chords rhythmically.
3. A means to an end that will help you develop ideas for your paper, this classroom activity is both fun and productive.
4. A slender animal with long legs, the cheetah is built for speed.
5. Charging forward, the bass guitarist hit a series of quick, low notes.
6. Legs wobbling, I struggled to stand up as the physical therapist rushed over to help.
7. My wife watched from her chair, offering love and encouragement.
8. Most universities require two courses in first-year composition, English I and English II.
9. He grabbed my hands to steady me, both of us shuffling toward the treadmill.
10.The students reading the highest number of pages during the break received a free book as an award.
Part III: Sentence Coordinators Answer Key
Directions: Using conjunctions and appropriate punctuation, fix sentences that have grammatical problems (such as run-on sentences or problems with parallel structure) and combine shorter sentences to make them longer. Some options for conjunctions are “and,” “but,” “or,” “if,” “until.” Some types of punctuation are , : ; —.
1. He saw the accident, it happened very quickly.
2. They wanted to renovate their home, it had old paint and worn carpet.
3. All of my favorite foods have high levels of salt, sugar and fat, I have a difficult time cooking healthier versions.
4. They enjoy running a four-mile circuit. They usually run in the mornings before work.
5. He usually exercises in the morning. She prefers to go to the gym at night.
6. I did not know what to plan for my students next. I read through their drafts to make some decisions about tomorrow’s in-class activities.
7. Our textbook is engaging, informative, and you can read it quickly.
8. Today I will grade several papers, develop a new assignment, and be gathering material for my latest research.
9. I pulled an all-nighter working on my term paper. The next day, I needed some coffee to stay awake.
10. Tom and Morgan usually eat dinner together. They don’t eat dinner together when one of them has to work late.
11. The Utah Jazz are a basketball team with a great history. They have had trouble winning a championship.
12. I got a thank you note from a student she said she learned a great deal from the assignments we did.
Part IV: Identifying form classes
Directions: Identify the class of every word in the following sentences. Place your labels below the words: noun (n), verb (vb), adjective (adj), adverb (adv), determiner (det), auxiliary (aux), qualifier (qual), preposition (prep), conjunction (conj), expletive (exp), particle (part), pronoun (pro). Remember: Some words can serve as members of different classes, depending on how they are used.
15.When my brother looks up that boo
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more