ESSAY 2: POETRY EXPLICATION
You will choose any poem by one of the poets covered, though not a poem we read in class.
Please include a copy of the poem chosen with you paper.
1. What is an explication of a poem? It is a detailed explanation or interpretation. It discusses the poem’s form (Sonnet? Quatrains? Free form?). If rhyme is used, it discusses how the rhyme adds to one’s understanding of the poem. It discusses the poem’s tone and theme (serious or humorous? subject/message or meaning?). It discusses important figures of speech or other techniques (metaphor? simile? alliteration?) which contribute to the overall effect of the poem.
1. What is NOT an explication of a poem? It is NOT a personal statement about how the poem makes you feel, unless that statement is supported by reference to specific lines in the poem. Your personal reaction must be based on the poem itself, not on your background or the mood you happen to be in when you read the poem.
Poetry uses many devices in order to convey its feeling or message or ideas. This includes: figurative language, sound, imagery, structure, language, word choice, juxtaposition, repetition, etc. In your poetry explication you will choose a poem that interests you and explain what you think the message/feeling/meaning of that poem is by explaining how you think these poetic devices work within the poem.
The list of approved poets include:
Edna St. Vincent Millay
William Carlos Williams
E. E. Cummings
Essay 2: Poetry Explication
(100 points) Explication:
· Poem selected from approved poets but not a poem that was read in class (4)
· A copy of the poem (4)
· Clearly introduces the poem and poet (4)
· Interesting Title (4)
· 2 – 3 pgs, typed, double-spaced, 12 pt. Times New Roman Font; This does NOT include the copy of the poem (20)
· Clearly explains what you think the poem is saying (20)
· Addresses at least three of our categories of poetry techniques: figurative language, sounds, imagery, structure, (word choice, juxtaposition, repetition) (20)
· Organized into sensible paragraphs, where each paragraph focuses on one idea or point regarding the poem (4)
· Generally well-written, sentence to sentence, displaying grammatical and mechanical control, easy to read and interesting (20)
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more