“The Rocking-Horse Winner”
1. Does the house really whisper, “There must be more money!”? Why do the voices go
“mad” when there is more money? Explain.
2. What kills Paul? Does his death have any symbolic meaning? Explain.
3. How do you interpret the ending of the story, particularly Uncle Oscar Creswell’s remark
implying that Paul is better off dead?
4. Describe the narrator, Sylvia. Why is she angry? Does she know why she’s
angry? What do the story’s final words suggest about her?
5. Describe Miss Moore. Is she a dramatic character or simply a mouthpiece for the
6. The story has a political point of view. Do you feel the author is preaching to
you, and thereby weakening the storytelling, or has the political intent been
effectively expressed without weakening the storytelling? Explain.
“The Conversion of the Jews”
7. What does the Sabbath dinner scene with his mother reveal about Ozzie’s character? How
does it relate to his actions on the synagogue roof? Explain.
8. What does Ozzie learn up on the roof of the synagogue?
9. Explain how these flat characters are essential: Mrs. Freedman, Itzie, and Blotnik.
“The First Day”
10. Describe the tone of the narrator in “The First Day.”
11. What is the narrator’s attitude toward her mother? How can the reader tell?
12. At what point does the picture of the mother change? Why? How does this change affect
the mood of the story?
“My Singular Irene”
13. Describe the character development of the narrator.
14. Discuss the manner in which the narrator infantilizes Irene. Offer at least three
15. Interpret the story’s symbols: the butterflies, the house, the bridge, the nakedness,
“The Great Grandfather of the Sandalwood Mountains”
16. What does Bak Goong learn from the Opium on the ship?
17. What is the effect of the enforced silence on Bak Goong, and how does he overcome it?
18. What is the relationship of the “Prince Cat-ears” story and the theme of silencing?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more