1. Do you consider Tita a strong or weak female heroine? Does she change by the end of the novel? If so, how? Or if not, why?
2. Describe the matriarch of the family, Mama Elena. Does the revelation later in the book about her own history alter your opinion of her?
3. What about Nacha? Both she and Mama Elena represent maternal figures for Tita. How do their maternal qualities differ?
4. Discuss the magical properties of food and cooking in this book. In what way is food a central metaphor in the novel—what does it represent? How does Tita use food—as a weapon? Or does she use it for solace, seduction, or healing? Is her use of it unwitting or purposeful? How does food affect the actions of various characters?
5. What does the title of the book refer to—and what is its thematic significance? How does the title relate to the internal passions of characters?
6. Discuss the images of heat and fire (as a symbol of desire) found throughout the novel. How does heat affect different characters? Are heat and fire sources of strength, or destruction?
7. Different characters are plagued with illnesses in Like Water for Chocolate. What is the significance—psychological or symbolic or spiritual—of those
8. Talk about what happens when Tita finally stands up to her mother’s ghost.
9. Compare the two male figures—Pedro and John Brown. What is each of the men’s relationship with Tita? Why does she make the choice she does?
10. What do Tita’s and Pedro’s deaths suggest about love? About their love in particular?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more