Discuss 6 question. Each answer requests 200 words.
Starting in 2016, I had begun to think that distribution platforms like Facebook and Twitter need to integrate gatekeeping mechanisms into their distribution models. This is a total 180 degree shift from the way I’ve thought in the past. I’ve been disheartened by the information environment over the last year, and my thinking in this area has changed as a result. http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/12/the-return-of-the-gatekeepers/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
This week, I’d like you to read the essay (http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/12/the-return-of-the-gatekeepers/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.) and weigh in on some of these controversial ideas.
· NOTE 1: This essay was written BEFORE revelations surfaced about Russia’s strategic exploitation of these platforms to divide the American public during the 2016 election. I’d be eager to hear your thoughts on THAT piece of the puzzle as well
· GREAT piece from the NYT on the exploitation of FB and Twitter by Russia: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/technology/facebook-google-russia.html (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
· NOTE 2: this piece was also written BEFORE revelations that FB gave user data to… lots of people and corporations.
· Recode’s Kara Swisher just wrote an epic response to the OPED that Mark Zuckerberg just penned for the Wall Street Journal of the 1 5th anniversary of FB:
Answer questions below
1. Do you think that it would be problematic for distribution platforms like Facebook and twitter to start playing the role of gatekeeper/fact-checker for content shared through their sites? Why or why not?
2. To what extent do you think the “profit-motives” of traditional journalism have undermined faith in news and have allowed for misinformation (that looks sort of like news) to spread across social media networks?
3. Facebook just announced in Dec 2018 that it would contribute 300 million dollars to journalism efforts. https://www.cjr.org/the_new_gatekeepers/facebook-journalism-funding.php (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
Do you think this is a solution to the problem?
4. What other thoughts do you have on these issues? …There is TON of press coverage on this issue of “fake news” over the last few months. I encourage you to integrate some of these articles into your discussion this week.
5. Would engaging in such gatekeeping activities undermine the potential of these technologies to transfer power into hands of citizens over elites?
6. In the article, I mention several big reasons for the decline in trust of media/journalism. What do you think of these reasons? Can you think of others?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more