Assignment 4: Database Modeling and Normalization
Due Week 4 and worth 120 points
Imagine that you work for a consulting firm that offers information technology and database services. Part of its core services is to optimize and offer streamline solutions for efficiency. In this scenario, your firm has been awarded a contract to implement a new personnel system for a government agency. This government agency has requested an optimized data repository for its system which will enable the management staff to perform essential human resources (HR) duties along with the capability to produce ad hoc reporting features for various departments. They look forward to holding data that will allow them to perform HR core functions such as hiring, promotions, policy enforcement, benefits management, and training.
Using this scenario, write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
1. Determine the steps in the development of an effective Entity Relationship Model (ERM) Diagram and determine the possible iterative steps / factors that one must consider in this process with consideration of the HR core functions and responsibilities of the client.
2. Analyze the risks that can occur if any of the developmental or iterative steps of creating an ERM Diagram are not performed.
3. Select and rank at least five (5) entities that would be required for the development of the data repositories.
4. Specify the components that would be required to hold time-variant data for policy enforcement and training management.
5. Diagram a possible 1:M solution that will hold salary history data, job history, and training history for each employee through the use of graphical tools in Microsoft Word or Visio, or an open source alternative such as Dia. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
6. Plan each step of the normalization process to ensure the 3NF level of normalization using the selected five (5) entities of the personnel database solution. Document each step of the process and justify your assumptions in the process.
7. Diagram at least five (5) possible entities that will be required to sustain a personnel solution. The diagram should include the following:
1. Dependency diagrams
2. Multivalued dependencies
Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
· Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, and OpenOffice. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more