HRMN 3841: Employee and Labour Relations 1
TRU Open Learning
Assignment 3: The Grievance Process (18%)
Review the three scenarios below. In a 1000 word essay (total), describe the next steps that
the company should take to properly respond to the individual situations.
James is a cashier, working for Write Way Stationary Company. He has been late for work
several times, but was never spoken to by his manager Julie. On Friday afternoon, Julie
called James into her office and notified him that he was fired (terminated) for cause for
being late for work.
The union and James filed a grievance, citing that the employer had improperly terminated
his employment. What are the steps in the grievance process? How do you recommend that
the organization resolve this grievance?
After working through the grievance procedure, the matter has still not been resolved. A
third party will be needed to resolve this matter. What type of third party intervention do
you think is appropriate? Describe the alternatives available and the recommended next
After several months of collective bargaining, the parties are at an impasse (which means
they are unable to negotiate a mutually agreeable collective agreement). Both the employer
and the union have options to apply pressure, to get a deal. If you were the employer, what
options are available to apply pressure on the union? What steps would you need to take to
implement this action?
Criteria for Evaluating Your Report
Your report must incorporate some of the key concepts introduced in this module.
You must demonstrate evidence of critical thinking and analysis.
You must present a logical and persuasive argument.
You must support your arguments with examples or illustrations from the textbook.
Submit your assignment (Parts A, B, and C) by using the “Assignment 3 submission tool”.
Be sure to save your assignment as a Word document and name it: A3_HRMN3841_Last
name. Please do not break your assignment into separate word files; save all your work for
this assignment as one .docx file.
2 Assignment 3
TRU Open Leanring
Did you put your name and student number on the document?
Did you complete all the required elements and clearly label the parts?
Did you use information and terminology learned in this module?
Did you support your statements with specific examples?
Did you cite references, using correct APA referencing format (including your
Did you ensure that there are no spelling mistakes?
Is your report grammatically correct, clear, and well organized?
We recommend that you submit this Assignment at the end of Module 8.
· Burgmann, T. (2014, 19 September).B.C. teachers’ strike: Was It worth it?Huffpost. Retrieved from: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/09/19/bc-school-schedule_n_5850896.html
· McIntosh J. (2011, 15 June).FAQ: Back-to-work legislation.CBC News. Retrieved from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/faq-back-to-work-legislation-1.1000525
· Pedwell T. (2016, 25 August).Union representing postal workers issues 72 hour strike notice.The Canadian Press. Retrieved from: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/union-representing-canada-post-issues-72-hour-strike-notice-1.3043877
· CBC News. (2015, 31 July).Ottawa taxi ‘strike’ starts Saturday but won’t affect service. Retrieved from: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-taxi-strike-starts-saturday-but-won-t-affect-service-1.3175003
· Gyulia, L. (2015, 25 February).Unions’ bonfire protest in June was illegal strike: Labour relations board.Montreal Gazette. Retrieved from: http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/unions-bonfire-protest-in-june-was-illegal-strike-labour-relations-board
· Ross, S. (2015, 27 July).Ontario school support workers consider strike action.The Globe and Mail. Retrieved from: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario-school-workers-consider-strike-action/article25728926/
· Seglins, D. & Gomez, C (2017, 1 April).New CP Rail CEO tackles rift with railroaders after years of cuts.CBC. Retrieved from: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cp-train-ceo-workers-1.4048025
· SkillsYouNeed. (n.d)Mediation Skills.
Retrieved from: http://www.skillsyouneed.com/ips/mediation-skills.html
· British Columbia Labour Relations Board (2003).
Collective Agreement between Kamloops Family Resources Society
(Elda Marshall House) and B.C. Government and Service Employees’ Union (BCGEU), April 1, 1998 – March 31, 2003. Retrieved from: http://www.lrb.bc.ca/cas/WLP2.pdf
· Health Services & Support Facilities Subsector (2010-12). Article 14.01: Selection Criteria.
Collective agreement between Association of Unions (HEU, BCGEU, IUOE, CSWU, IBEW, USWA, BCNU, UBCJA, UAJAP&P, IUPAT, PPWS) and HEABC Health employers association of BC
. Retrieved from: http://www.heu.org/sites/default/files/uploads/collective_agreement/2011/03/16/2010-2012%20Facilities%20Collective%20Agreement.pdf
· Canadian HR reporter. (2011, 9 May).
Grievance arbitration: Current standards and how to improve the system
. [Video]. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n3WTrWeP70 (5:00)
· Seravalli, F. (2015, 31 July).
Ex-King Richards remains in limbo
.TSN. Retrieved from: http://www.tsn.ca/ex-king-richards-remains-in-limbo-1.338894
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more