Assignment 1: Analysis and Critique of a Video
Due Date: Refer to the schedule in your syllabus
Format: 12 pt Times New Roman or Calibri font, 2+ pages, double-spaced
How does analyzing and critiquing a video help you with writing? Besides being able to practice writing, determining the thinking behind the making of a video and reflecting on its purpose and audience enables you to see why the producers chose the techniques they used. In the same way, when you are given an opportunity to write, the targeted audience and purpose should determine what writing techniques you use in that paper.
For this assignment, begin by selecting one of the video links on Blackboard.
Firstly, analyze the video you have selected. (This part of your paper gives your “audience” [a group of your peers] some details about this video.) Break the video down to these basic concepts: audience, purpose, and techniques .
· Determine who its audience is. – How do you determine this?
· What is the purpose of the video? – What helps you find this out?
· What are some techniques that the writers and producers use to “sell” their product? – Be specific and detailed as you describe examples from the video.
Then, use your analysis to critique the video (see information on next page). This should include your interpretation and synthesis of what you found.
· Use these questions to help you think:
· Is this video effective? – How or why (not)?
· Does the video fulfill its purpose? – How?
· Does the video reach its audience? – In what ways?
· Are the techniques used in the video effective and appropriate for its intended audience? – Why or Why not?
This paper should be written in a style that is in accordance with the conventions of formal academic writing (no text-speak, emoticons, slang, or contractions).
*** A submittal of the very first (rough) draft of this paper is mandatory. ***
In this paper:
· Include a thesis that makes a statement (that does not just restate a fact) about the video and its producers.
· Support your main points with solid evidence, examples, or events (from the video or other sources; you may need to do a little research on the video or the company it represents.)
· Properly cite your different sources using MLA style.
Note: Since this is a formal paper, use proper in-text citation and include a works cited page when needed.
From Writing Matters by Rebecca Moore Howard:
A critique is a well-informed evaluation. It may be positive, negative, or a bit of both. A movie review, for example, is a critique; it provides readers with an evaluation, supported by evidence from the film, to help them decide whether to see it. As you prepare to critique a text, consider the following issues:
· What are the author’s goals? Does she or he achieve them? Are they worth achieving?
· What are the writer’s claims? Are you persuaded by them? Why or why not?
· How credible is the evidence? Is the evidence verifiable and relevant? Is the author’s reasoning sound?
In everyday speech, criticism is often used simply to mean “finding fault.” But in academic disciplines, criticism means “evaluating a work’s merits based on a careful and fair analysis.” The ideal critic approaches a text skeptically yet with an open mind and provides evidence for the judgments she [or he] makes.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more