After reading the haikus and limericks included in pages 474-476 of Literature to Go, the lecture, “Haiku Journey (Links to an external site.)” by Kimberly Blaeser, and “Small Poems for Big (Links to an external site.)” by Chinaka Hodge, what stands out to you about the haiku and the limerick? What do you notice about these fixed form poems? Of the assigned poems, which was your favorite and why?
Next, I’d like you to write an original haiku or limerick. Your original poem should follow the requirements of the form. Please find the basic rules for the haiku and the limerick below. Have fun and be creative!
Rules for the Haiku
1. There are only three lines, totaling 17 syllables.
2. The first line is 5 syllables, the second line is 7 syllables, and the third line is 5 syllables.
3. It should not rhyme.
4. A haiku often features an image from nature meant to depict the essence of a specific moment in time. It emphasizes simplicity, intensity, and directness of expression.
Rules for the Limerick
1. There are 5 lines.
2. It should follow the rhyme scheme AABBA. The first line must rhyme with the second and fifth line. Lines three and four must rhyme.
3. The content is usually light, funny, quirky, and even absurd.
4. The first line sets up the character and setting of the poem.
5. The first, second, and fifth lines typically have 8 or 9 syllables while the third and fourth lines typically have 5 or 6 syllables.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more